Old 06-04-2006, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Comfrey

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Bobby" contains these words:

[...]
So it would still be a threat if I only harvested the leaves and put
them in
the compost heap?

If your heap is cool and the wild comfrey is at an outside edge, I
bet it would just take root.
It should be safe enough for making liquid fertiliser though (put
in a large barrel, fill with water, cover with lid.. It stinks. )

I don't think there's any risk of the leaves taking root: even the few
plants which can be propagated from leaf cuttings need special
treatment -- a propagator, or rooting in water like African violets --
just chucking leaves on a compost heap doesn't seem special enough to
me! Maybe someone will be along in a minute to prove me wrong, but I
doubt it. I had Bocking 14 for years, and it gave no trouble.

--
Mike.