Old 06-04-2006, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Comfrey

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
michael adams wrote:
"JB" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:56:52 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Judith Lea

[...]
Any chance of a picture of it Janet?

Not at this time of year. In winter it disapears below ground and
is barely poking through yet. But if you remind me later in summer
I'll send you one.

Janet

I thought comfrey was used as a ground cover and green manure over
winter?

Er,no.

Google Results 1 - 10 of about 164 for comfrey winter bocking. (0.37
seconds)

And here's one of the pictures from Ggl Images:
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...ucts/cmfp1.jpg

It must be cheaper somewhere else, I'd have thought -- I was given mine.

£1.11 each, if you buy 5. But as it can be easily propogated from roots
apparently it seems daft to buy more, just to get a small discount for
quantity. When growing things is supposed to what it's all about in any
case.
You'd think there'd be the basis of a business there. Providing
the website had a green background as well.

Of course among talk of the magic of comfrey we must beware the "Green
Revolution" fallacy: no gardening process gives out more than you put
in. It does make the most of what you give it, but it's a greedy plant.

It appears that it pulls up and utilises minerals and essential elements
through having deep roots, much like stinging nettles. I stick with the
latter, collecting bin bags full from along the canal among other places.
Both for tea and as a compost accelerant. Not sure of the actual analysis -
maybe comfrey may be higher in potash.

michael adams

Mike.