Old 15-02-2003, 02:15 AM
Shiva

Default Sombreuil and Spring roses

R & L Porter wrote:

Anyone in a cold zone have experience with this rose?

I'm not in a cold zone, but I do have this rose, it is in its fourth year
now.

I have been perusing Paul Barden's site and he claims
that it is surprisingly winter hardy. Just wondering if
anyone out there can back that up. It looks like such
a beautiful rose.

While I cannot speak to the winter hardy issue, I can say that this is a
very beautiful rose, and it screams OGR even if it is "Colonial White," as
some say. Several points:

1. The quartered form comes through in photos, but not the shallow cup.
This rose has a very shallow cup. I was surprised. I still like it, though.

2. This rose has a million teeny tiny petals. OK, not a million, but check
out the petal count--then know they are teeny tiny, in a shallow cup.

3. The center of this rose has a soft and faint but still clear "blush
white" color. Not snowy. Not ivory. Blushy.

4. This rose has been known to grow for three years without producing a
single bloom. Mine bloomed in year 2, and I felt really lucky! That said,
it is worth the wait.

5. This rose has very lovely foliage and canes--lots of red, and the
thorns are red on mine--and it makes gorgeous hips. I have never read
about it having hips, but mine sure does. It is growing on a fence with
Don Juan, who also makes great hips. Very pretty combo.

6. This rose has a very nice, rosy scent. Not knock-you-over, but very
nice. It you find out it is cold hardy, I think you should get it.

I placed a rose order with Pickering's in December and
eagerly await its arrival.

All your choices look great! Don't forget that even in warm areas, Tamora
tops out at 2.5 feet. !! No kidding. And it STAYS in bloom here, and
smells good.