Old 06-04-2006, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Bales of Pine Needles

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:26:57 +0100, June Hughes

We have three very old fir trees of different
species and I really can't see the attraction of using the manky old
brown, prickly needles as a mulch or instead of bark. The only thing
going for them is that they smell nice if you crush them but that takes
quite a bit of doing.

Pine needles are very good for mulching rhododendrons, azaleas,
camellias etc. The rot down to give an acid compost, but which is
coarse and open and lets the shallow roots breathe. When rotted,
they're also a very good additive to ericaceous composts, as they keep
the compost open and free draining, as well as acid.

If you've got them, I envy you. I have to cadge them from a
neighbouring farmer who has a stand of pine trees in a corner of a
field next to his house.

--
Chris