Old 06-04-2006, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Not@home

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

With new construction and no grass at all, some landscapers have a truck
that blows a green slurry over the intended lawn area. I don't know
what all is in the slurry, but I believe it includes a starter
fertilizer, some fast growing ryegrass seed, a slower growing better
grass seed, and plenty of green dye. The idea is you get an instant
lawn, first consisting of the green dye, replaced by the rye grass,
which in turn is replaced by the better grass. The sprayer they use is
quite large, and I have never looked for nor seen one for sale, and I
would think it would be wasteful for a homeowner to purchase such a
large machine for a single use. If you want this done, contact a
landscaper, but I would think a good landscaper would use the more
traditional method of checking, smoothing, and rolling the soil, sowing
the seed, raking it in, putting some kind of protective covering over
it, and watering frequently until the lawn is established.
Incidentally, installing a sprinkler system before doing this is an
excellent idea, as you can set it to keep the soil moist during germination.

The protective covering is to keep the birds from eating your seed.
When I do a small area, I cover it with the plastic equivalent of
cheesecloth; it lets in the light and water and air, but keeps the birds
at bay. For a larger area, I buy some straw and strew it over the area,
it doesn't protect from the birds as well, but gives generally good
results, and you don't even have to pick it up; the grass will grow
through it, and it will eventually decompose. Note that I said straw,
not hay. Hay is full of seeds and you don't want that unless you are
starting a hayfield.

Mama Bear wrote:
Someone was telling me that they can use a shredder-blower to shred
peat moss and spray a think layer of it all over your lawn after
putting down grass seed, then you water and it helps keep the
moisture in and start the seed so it doesn't dry out.

What do they call the blower that can do that and what do they
usually cost?