Old 06-04-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default Muscari / Grape hyacinth - How to kill?

Stanley wrote:
Hello fellow gardening people.

To those of you who love them and pamper and feed them...... Sorry.

Yes, they do have got nice blue flowers.

BUT I have got several beds infested with thousands of them and they
are trying to take over the whole garden. Digging them up is nigh
impossible as the bulbs are 1 - 5 inches into a fairly heavy soil.
Even though I stop them seeding each bulb has oodles of bulblets
clustered round it which each forms a new plant when they drop off
....... which they do ..... a lot..
Does Roundup go off? I tried spraying them with it the other year
with no effect. I have a bottle of the concentrated Roundup that is a
few years old.
Please, please, please does anybody know what will kill them?

Can you let me in on the secret before I go mad.

They self seed too, I've got them growing through cracks in the concrete,
almost ten feet away from where they are (fairly) contained under a conifer
hedge.
When the flower dries up in a few weeks time, lift one off and give it a
shake, there will be a hundred round black seeds and they grow! - my advice
is to chop their heads off, they don't like it.