Old 06-04-2006, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

Default Wasps

In message , Alan Holmes
writes

I don't understand why you have been stung, the only ones around at the
moment will be queens, and as far as I'm aware they cannot sting.

I used to think that. The sting's a modified ovipositor so you'd think
the queen wasp couldn't have both, but apparently she lays eggs without
needing an ovipositor.
I've also heard the drones can't sting, but that it's hard to
distinguish them from workers which can.

You have two choices, either swat them, or encourage them to go outside and
find a place to nest.

I'd squash the queens (they're easy to pick out as they're huge) but
wouldn't bother with the normal worker wasps.

If you see a hornet (even larger with a lot of red instead of black) be
nice to it, they're too placid to bother stinging anyone and they keep
the numbers of annoying normal wasps down.

--
Sue ]