Old 07-04-2006, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

Mama Bear wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
Can someone please answer my original question, without going
off on tangents like this? Thanks.

Why do you think anyone knows where you can get a blower
shredder that will do that? If none of us thinks it's a good
idea, why would we have ever shopped for one? You're not
getting a straight answer because your original message
implied that you weren't interested in whether the idea
worked, but just on how to carry-out the idea even if it is a
dumb idea. You came here with your mind made up.

As Doug noted, the shredded peat moss is going to very quickly
dry-out. It's either going to just blow away, or it's going to
wick-away water that otherwise could be going to good use.
Think about it. Just how would loose peat moss help do
anything useful? It's a horrible waste of a natural resource
that's being depleted fast enough. As gardeners, even armature
gardeners, we should be stewards of the Earth. Wasting peat
moss on some scheme that has no benefit is not a good idea.
And using a power tool of some sort -- possibly even a
gas-powered tool -- is even worse.

Aw jeez, I had to get into a nest of environazis too!

Not supposed to use water to grow my grass or power tools? I
suppose I should abandon all modern things and move back to the
caves.

In an earlier message you said, "I've been told it can work."
Well, now you've been told that it doesn't work more than
once. I guess if you're prone to go off and do things -- along
with spending money to buy stuff to do those things -- without
any research just because you've "been told it can work", this
should be more than enough to change your mind.

It's a dumb idea. But if you really still want to go ahead and
do it, then you'll just have to do your own shopping. I know
I've got better things to do than shop for you.

You apparently don't even believe in modern technology or having
a lawn. Jeez.

And what you've gotten out of this is that we're saying it's not
environmentally sound? You have a big comprehension problem, don't you.

The point is that there is no benefit to shredding and blowing peat moss
on the lawn, but plenty of costs. It's a cost/benefit thing. Economics.

Once again, the peat moss will dry-out when shredded. Some of it will
blow away. What's left will wick water away from the soil and seed,
resulting in the opposite effect of what you apparently think it will
have.

But you apparently still want to go ahead with this foolish, pointless
plan. That's fine with me if it were just you wasting your time and
money. But you're harming my environment to no benefit of your own. So
not only is your plan pointless and costly, it harms the environment. So
you're not just wasting your own time and money, you're impacting the
rest of us, too. The economics of this are just totally upside-down.

Once more in case you missed it: Your plan is dumb. It wastes money. It
wastes resources. And, if anything, it's affect will be the opposite of
what you want.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/