Old 07-04-2006, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Removing flower buds increases plant growth- does this work for roses?

I know that a way of getting small pelargonium plants to grow as big as
possible is to remove all flower buds until the plant is the size you want
it to be and only then let it flower, that way the energy goes into the plant
itself growing bigger.

I have a rosa rugosa hedge that I need to grow taller ASAP. I'm wondering if
removing all flower buds this year would help it to grow faster than it would
otherwise. It seems logical- any ideas? Any rose experts know the answer to
this one?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)