Old 07-04-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing flower buds increases plant growth- does this work for roses?

VX writes
I know that a way of getting small pelargonium plants to grow as big as
possible is to remove all flower buds until the plant is the size you want
it to be and only then let it flower, that way the energy goes into the plant
itself growing bigger.

I have a rosa rugosa hedge that I need to grow taller ASAP. I'm wondering if
removing all flower buds this year would help it to grow faster than it would
otherwise. It seems logical- any ideas? Any rose experts know the answer to
this one?

I would think not. Roses throw out tall upright shoots which don't
flower in the first year, then in the second year these branches produce
smaller flowering branches. So, whereas in the pelargonium, you are
removing flower buds to allow the same 'branch' to grow instead of
flower, in roses, the only benefit would be the energy diversion one,
which I would not expect to be large.

Your best would be feeding, but use a general purpose high nitrogen feed
rather than a rose fertiliser designed to promote flower growth.

On bush type roses, heavy pruning can generate strong shoots from the
base. I don't think it works quite so well on rugosa. That said, I have
a tall, thick, old rugosa hedge (about 7ft tall and 6 ft thick), and
whenever I hack at that, I get a whole forest of new shoots from the
base.
--
Kay