Old 07-04-2006, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Treedweller

Default 3 Year-old live oak..What's wrong w/ my tree?

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:02:00 -0500, Bill Freedman
wrote:

Hello,

I've got a 3 year-old Live Oak....in the North Dallas area.....and in
the last month..a sort of bulbous, black, growth has begun to appear.
Can anyone identify what this might be? My neighbor (whom may be a bit
paranoid) was thinking "Sudden Oak Death"..but I'm under impression
that that has not really hit my area....

I've posted some photos...

http://jimwalter.zapto.org/tree/tree.html

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

sV

My first instinct was wasp galls, but looking at the photos, I think
not. Perhaps some kind of scale insect?
http://www.digitalarborist.com/idoti...cts/scales.pdf

Pry a couple off and see if there are legs and such underneath.

If so, treat with dormant oil/horticultural oil/Volck oil.

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236AT