Old 07-04-2006, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

I replied earlier, but I inadvertently sent it to only one person. Here it
is for the group.

The peat moss sounds like a fine idea to me, despite what some others have
speculated. I would go with a report from someone who has tried it long
before I'd go with the nay-sayers on this newsgroup who have not. Your
climate matters a lot of course. As to cost, that varies too; around here
peat moss is extremely cheap; it comes on a truck by the yard if you want
it.

I sympathize with the original poster, who asked a simple question and got
sermons in response, but never an answer. (No, I don't know either where
to buy such a blower.)

As added material, I will point out that using peat moss to start a lawn
implies that it will be kept moist. Moist peat moss won't blow anywhere,
and neither will it wick water from the ground. As for wicking significant
water out of the ground, I know that peat pots do that if they are only
partly buried, but I think this is sufficiently different.

Added even later (From http://www.greengate.ca/lawns_sod/): "After seeding
apply a thin layer of peat moss over the entire area. This helps retain
moisture and holds the seed to ensure a quality product." So the idea is
not unknown.

The sarcastic tone of some posters here, who wrote from ignorance as if they
actually knew something about the topic, is not justified.

"Mama Bear" wrote in message
"Warren" wrote :

Mama Bear wrote:

Can someone please answer my original question, without going
off on tangents like this? Thanks.

Why do you think anyone knows where you can get a blower
shredder that will do that? If none of us thinks it's a good
idea, why would we have ever shopped for one? You're not
getting a straight answer because your original message
implied that you weren't interested in whether the idea
worked, but just on how to carry-out the idea even if it is a
dumb idea. You came here with your mind made up.

As Doug noted, the shredded peat moss is going to very quickly
dry-out. It's either going to just blow away, or it's going to
wick-away water that otherwise could be going to good use.
Think about it. Just how would loose peat moss help do
anything useful? It's a horrible waste of a natural resource
that's being depleted fast enough. As gardeners, even armature
gardeners, we should be stewards of the Earth. Wasting peat
moss on some scheme that has no benefit is not a good idea.
And using a power tool of some sort -- possibly even a
gas-powered tool -- is even worse.

Aw jeez, I had to get into a nest of environazis too!

Not supposed to use water to grow my grass or power tools? I
suppose I should abandon all modern things and move back to the
caves.

In an earlier message you said, "I've been told it can work."
Well, now you've been told that it doesn't work more than
once. I guess if you're prone to go off and do things -- along
with spending money to buy stuff to do those things -- without
any research just because you've "been told it can work", this
should be more than enough to change your mind.

It's a dumb idea. But if you really still want to go ahead and
do it, then you'll just have to do your own shopping. I know
I've got better things to do than shop for you.

You apparently don't even believe in modern technology or having
a lawn. Jeez.

--
- Mama Bear