Old 07-04-2006, 04:10 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default What Are You Feeding & Where are You Buying Your Koi Food This Season?

"Altum" wrote in message
. com...

BTW, you should see the pictures of livers from discus fed on beef heart
in his book. The livers are huge, not functioning properly, and filled
with fat globules. Animal fats are very bad for fish and both dog and cat
foods contain a lot of animal fat. Anyone feeding cat or dog food had a
look at their fishes livers? Can you prove you're not doing long-term
damage to your fish?

How can we prove any of the feeds aren't doing long-term damage to our fish?
How many of us can afford to feed them fresh shrimp, scallops and other sea
foods from the local stores? Have you any idea what seafood costs? Paying
a premium price for koi food is no guarantee it doesn't contain something
harmful or was stored correctly BEFORE we purchased it. Also, how can we
know what's really in it?

And no, looking healthy and spawning for
even a decade is NOT a good indicator of liver health in an animal that
should have a 100-year lifespan.

Nor is paying $5 to $10 a lb for koi food. In just the past 8 years it went
from GF (or example) being mainly vegetarians to GF being mainly
carnivorous. First I read that they can't digest meaty foods and now the
story is they can't digest starches or carbohydrates. Next year they'll be
omnivorous or maybe grainivorous.... or so someone will claim. ;-) I've
learned to take it all with a grain of salt as they say.

Just look at the decades long but
still shortened lifespan of alcoholic humans with cirrhosis.

There's no comparison. Drunks seldom eat anything like a normal diet or
even know or care what they eat or if they eat. As long as they have their
*fix* on hand. No one is giving their fish alcohol. :-)

Sorry. I'll go back to patching my pond liner now.

Everyone has an opinion worth hearing.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952