Old 07-04-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.ponds
Altum

Default What Are You Feeding & Where are You Buying Your Koi Food ThisSeason?

Koi-Lo wrote:

Everyone has an opinion worth hearing.

I doubt you realize it, but that's an incredibly condescending
statement. You are confusing opinion with the science that Ingrid and I
are trying to present.

If you choose to wear blinders and not read veterinary articles and
aquaculture literature that's your choice. If you did, you would learn
that trout chow and catfish chow are developed for aquacultured trout
and catfish, not pet koi. They are designed to provide the cheapest
possible food that provides short-term health, rapid growth, and
palatable flesh when the fish reaches someone's dinner table. That's
not the usual goal for pet fish. I'm sure your fish are fine, but
they're not likely to have the same long-term health and extensive
lifespan of fish fed diets that have been optimized for koi.

My OPINION is that keeping five koi on a diet optimized for health and
longevity is preferable to keeping fifty koi on cheap catfish and trout
chow.

--
Put the word aquaria in the subject to reply.
Did you read the FAQ? http://faq.thekrib.com