Old 07-04-2006, 09:05 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cliff

Default How short should I mow my lawn?

A lot has to do with personal preference. I like to cut the areas the have
St. Augustine as high as the mower will go and cut it when you will be
taking off not more than 1/3 of the total growth or at least every week or
10 days whether it looks like it needs it or not. It is also important to
have a sharp blade so you are cutting and not just whacking it off. In the
spring, if you are fortunate enough to get average rainfall and the weather
is warm and humid, that might mean cutting every 4-5 days until we get into
the really hot dry weather. Common Bermuda grass I cut at about 1". If you
allow Bermuda to get three or four inches tall and then cut it back you will
cut off all the green and have a brown lawn for awhile. Cut it short once
a week or so and it will stay green if it gets any water. In any case the
solution to a good looking yard is proper fertilizer and as much water as
you can reasonable afford. If you have any St. Augustine (carpet) and water
it at least one inch per week it will eventually crowded out all the other
grasses and weeds. On the other hand if you don't water the Bermuda will
take over and eventually go dormant until it rains or you water it. No
matter what kind of grass you have it will not stay green without
supplemental irrigation.

GOOD LUCK
"ceed" wrote in message
newsp.s7ni8mrcqo6mj3@debob...
Hi,

I have moved to the warn Austin climate relatively recently so I do not
have a lot of experience keeping a lawn here. My lawn has "normal grass".
It looks like what most people around here have (sorry for not knowing
more about this), not carpet grass or anything. I have been asking around
a little as to how short to cut my grass and gotten all kinds of answers.
So now I ask he How short should I mow? My lawn gets several hours of
sun every day and I use a mulcing mower.

Advice greatly appreciated.

--
//ceed