Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

Mama Bear wrote in
:

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote :
(No, I don't know
either where to buy such a blower.)

I've since found out that Toro makes shredder blowers for
around $80.

it's for shredding leaves for compost, not blowing peat moss
on the lawn. it would not do what you wanted. it would make
holes where the discharge chute is. we have a chipper/shredder
& use a tarp under the discharge chute.

As added material, I will point out that using peat moss
to start a lawn implies that it will be kept moist.

Exactly. We have a sprinkler system. Now maybe we don't
even need the peat moss, and we could just turn the
sprinklers on a few times a day to keep the soil moist. The
problem last year was that we didnt get the new sprinkler
system installed until the weather was already warm and the
weeds took over this new lot. we had to battle them. Now we
have about 50% grass after the battle of last year and want
to get 100% grass by this year.

you really should have done your seeding in the fall. grass
grows better when fall seeded. as you found last year, when
you spring seed you get a lot of weeds.
i would seed now with a blend of something fast growing (like
annual rye) & then reseed again in the fall with more
perennial turfgrasses for your area. just don't expect your
lawn to look great for another couple years.
8000 sq.ft. of lawn just sounds like way too much bother, but
that's me... and i have cute llama lawnmowers.
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery