Old 08-04-2006, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Mama Bear" wrote in message

Moist peat
moss won't blow anywhere, and neither will it wick water from
the ground.

That's what I was thinking.

As peat moss dries, it sometimes forms a crust which can be difficult for
seed to penetrate. This is why it's supposed to be mixed into the soil. I
have a question. Have you ever actually handled peat moss that's been

broken
down from chunks into a powdery state? I mean....have you touched it with
your hands, especially when it's dry?

As for wicking significant water out of the
ground, I know that peat pots do that if they are only partly
buried, but I think this is sufficiently different.

Added even later (From http://www.greengate.ca/lawns_sod/):
"After seeding apply a thin layer of peat moss over the entire
area. This helps retain moisture and holds the seed to ensure
a quality product." So the idea is not unknown.

The sarcastic tone of some posters here, who wrote from
ignorance as if they actually knew something about the topic,
is not justified.

Ask a simple question on usenet and everyone is an expert, even
when they don't know what they're talking about.

I have another question. Two, actually. No...wait. Three.

1) Tell me how long I've been gardening and how many dozens of books I've
read on the subject.

2) How long have you been gardening and how many books you've read on the
subject.

3) You said "everyone is an expert". When you asked your original

question,
did you want advice from someone who was NOT an expert? If so, why didn't
you ask anyone who knew what they were talking about to please refrain

from
answering?

Your claims here that you are speaking from authority make you sound like a
midaeval church official who denied that heavy bodies fall as fast as light
ones. You have never tried this, or spoken with anyone who has. Experiment
is a lot more conclusive than theory.

As for wicking, if peat is mixed into soil many pieces of peat undoubtedly
stick out a bit. Yet the peat-soil mix is not dried out by any wicking
effect. It is, in fact, a recommended mix for starting sod where peat is
cheap. Yes, I have handled peat. I have also tossed handfuls of it onto my
garden and seen them in the same spot months later, having failed to notice
your opinion and blow away. (and yes, that's sarcasm.)