Old 08-04-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts

Default Comfrey

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:58:25 +0100, michael adams wrote:

quantity. When growing things is supposed to what it's all about in any
case.
Of course among talk of the magic of comfrey we must beware the "Green
Revolution" fallacy: no gardening process gives out more than you put
in. It does make the most of what you give it, but it's a greedy plant.

It appears that it pulls up and utilises minerals and essential elements
through having deep roots, much like stinging nettles. I stick with the
latter, collecting bin bags full from along the canal among other places.
Both for tea and as a compost accelerant. Not sure of the actual analysis -
maybe comfrey may be higher in potash.

Drifting a little of topic here, but in my Suffolk garden I have what I
think is Comfrey (big hairy leaves, small blue flowers, deep tap root) and
what I am sure are nettles (ouch) but these don't have deep roots - they
spread by surface runners which form new clumps, mainly in the middle of
shrubs where they are very difficult to get at.

Cheers

Dave R