Old 08-04-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Nick Maclaren

Default Tree Recommendations

In article ,
David E. Ross wrote:

Since you failed to indicate a climate zone, here are recommendations
for my zone, from my own garden.

From the smallest to the largest "small" tree --

Australian tea tree, Leptospermum laevigatum. This can actually be a
large shrub or pruned to be a multistemmed tree. It has small pink
flowers.

Loquat, Eriobotrya japonica. Mine is 'MacBeth', which is a hybrid with
large fruit.

Red-flowering gum, Eucalyptus ficifolia. This is one of the smaller and
cleaner eucalypts, with large clusters of red flowers followed by
bell-shaped seed pods.

All three are evergreen.

As Bob Hobden says, he cross-posted to uk.rec.gardening, so zones are
meaningless. Eriobotrya japonica is a fair choice in the milder areas,
but I think that the others are pretty risky in most places. There
are actually very few evergreen broadleaved trees that are completely
hardy in the UK - yes, we are that close to the arctic!

Laurus nobilis (bay) would be another good choice for most areas here,
though it can sucker. It may not be spectacular, though it flowers
quite well, but it is fragrant and useful :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.