Old 08-04-2006, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens
Andrew Ostrander

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message
"tried this" - I assume you're talking about mechanically launching peat
moss. That's correct - I haven't seen it done. Let me ask you something:

If
you see 1000 landscapers create new lawns, and NONE of them "blow" peat

moss
onto the surface, does that tell you anything? Let's assume also that 10%

of
these people are not private business people, but work for municipalities,
which often have plenty of money for the latest equipment.

Why do you suppose you and I haven't seen this launching idea done with

peat
moss?

I expect blowing on peat moss is not the most cost-effective way to
establish a new lawn in most situations. But the OP did not ask how to
establish a new lawn, she asked where to buy a tool, and in response she got
general advice. This advice was presented as factual but it was not based on
experience, and I did not and do not agree with the advice. I reproduce it
he

Peat moss also dries out very quickly when exposed to air. Then, two
things
happen: First, it acts like a sponge and sucks moisture out of adjacent
materials, like your soil. This assumes it remains in place, which is
probably won't if it's been pulverized and there's any wind. The only
correct way to use peat moss on a lawn is to work it into the soil, not
just
put it on top.

I will also point out that she is not starting a new lawn but trying to fill
in an existing lawn, so comparisons with starting new lawns are not very
informative.