Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nicole

Default To Bag- or not to bag?

Jos

From UC Davis

http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TUR...IN/thatch.html
Thatch is the layer of living and dead stems, roots, stolons, and rhizomes
between the green blades of grass and the soil surface. A thin layer of
thatch (less than 1/2 inch thick) can be beneficial to the lawn because it
helps to limit weed germination, reduce water evaporation, and protect from
frost damage. However, thick thatch layers can prevent water, air, and
nutrients from penetrating the soil, causing reduced root growth and
increased potential for drought stress. Thatch also favors fungal growth and
can harbor insect pests. Some turfgrass species, such as tall fescue and
perennial ryegrass, do not produce much thatch. Other turfgrass species,
such as bermudagrass, bentgrass, and Kentucky bluegrass, have creeping
growth habits and rapidly build thick thatch layers.

Tips for preventing thatch build up
Follow proper fertilization practices; avoid excessive amounts of nitrogen.
Avoid frequent and shallow irrigation on established lawns.
Mow properly; remove clippings if too much of the grass is removed at one
time. (should never remove more than 1/3 of the length at a time)

The UC Guide to Healthy Lawns
http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/

Jos. Wheeler" joe@csa wrote in message
I've got a well established 31 tall fescue lawn growing in Atlanta's hot
clay soil (nicest one in the neighborhood, actually). I've always used the
grass catcher on my mower but I'm getting tired of emptying the bag all
the time.

If I just let the clippings spray out onto the lawn, would I get thatch
build-up--- or would the clipping just disintegrate? And how bad is thatch
anyhow?

Jos.