Old 08-04-2006, 09:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Nicole

Default To Bag- or not to bag?

If you really think this question is difficult, no wonder you need a degree
in another field. Thatch is not a difficult subject
"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
Jos. Wheeler said:

"Jos. Wheeler" joe@csa wrote in message
I've got a well established 31 tall fescue lawn growing in Atlanta's hot
clay soil (nicest one in the neighborhood, actually). I've always used
the
grass catcher on my mower but I'm getting tired of emptying the bag all
the time.

If I just let the clippings spray out onto the lawn, would I get thatch
build-up--- or would the clipping just disintegrate? And how bad is
thatch
anyhow?

Jos.

Thanks for the suggestions-- and the humorous tit for tat...

Take about a two-inch deep plug out of your turf and examine the thatch
layer. If it's only about 1/2" thick, you'll be fine with regular, proper
mowing. My apologies if my choice of wording steered you wrong. There
really is no simple, absolute answer. There are a number of variables to
be
considered.

HTH HAND
--
Eggs

Can atheists get insurance for acts of God?