Old 08-04-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MadCow

Default Muscari / Grape hyacinth - How to kill?

In message , Phil L
writes
MadCow wrote:
snip
If you can get weedkiller formulated as a gel or thick liquid that you
wipe onto the leaves with a sponge or special glove, it's worth
trying. Otherwise, buy a hoe and use it.

You can mix roundup with water at it's normal strength, then add a packet of
solvite wallpaper paste to make it into a gel.

At the garden centre today I saw a gel formulation called "Deep Root" or
something, with a brush built into the cap. You'd need yer Marigold on
the other hand to hold the Muscari leaves while you brushed them and
it'd still be a really tedious job.
I'd try it on a half-metre square first, and if the foliage dies off I'd
dig the bulbs up to make sure they're dead not just dormant.
Only then would I take the trouble of applying it to a larger area.

--
Sue

Old cynical gardener in Reading town