Old 09-04-2006, 08:30 AM posted to rec.ponds
Davy

Default What Would Be Normal Rate of Surface Fall?

I have recently moved into a house and have found a butyl-lined pond at
the
bottom of the garden with very little water in it. I have filled it but
find that the water level is falling. Not being experienced with ponds I
cannot tell if this is normal evaporation or a leak.

What rate of surface level fall would you expect to be normal for a pond
that is:
- in Wiltshire in England
- in shade
- about 4 square meters surface area
- no plants
Davy

Snip ... Take a bucket and set it on something in the pond, fill
it to the level the pond is at. If the water in the pond, goes below the
level of the bucket, you've got a leak. ~ jan

Jan,

what a nice simple test; obvious when you are told. No fountain or plants
growing out of the water so should work. I will try it now.

cheers

Davy