Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
will

Default Soil preparation. Newbie question.

I've only just finished clearing an area of turf to create some
vegetable beds. I have some top soil arriving next week, and I also
have a great heap of farmyard manure.

I'm just wondering if I've left this a bit late for getting a decent
crop of veg this year, or will I be OK? I appreciate that the books
normally say about breaking up the soil and leaving it exposed should
be done the previous winter, but as it's a new patch with new top
soil, can I safely miss out this step?

Assuming that I'm OK, could someone tell me what I should do next? Do
I need to rotivate the soil before adding the top soil? At what point
should I add the manure, and do I need to add any other stuff like
lime or sand? The soil is clay, and seems to be in good condition.

Do I need to leave it a while before planting anything (potatoes in
particular, which I've been chitting), or can I go ahead once this is
all finished?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Will