Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Paul Kelly

Default Soil preparation. Newbie question.

"will" wrote in message
om...
Assuming that I'm OK, could someone tell me what I should do next? Do
I need to rotivate the soil before adding the top soil? At what point
should I add the manure, and do I need to add any other stuff like
lime or sand? The soil is clay, and seems to be in good condition.

You are aiming to produce a deep, fertile well cultivated soil. Having just
cleared the turf, now is your best opportunity to work the soil to a good
depth.

I'd:

1 rotovate as deeply as possible without adding anything

2 spread a thick layer of manure and rotovate in

3 spread the topsoil and more manure

4 rotovate again

5 Use the narrow bed system and avoid stepping (ever) on the areas to be
planted

I'll leave the veggie details to those more knowledgeable!

pk