Old 09-04-2006, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default container plants

In article ,
Jackie D wrote:

I want to buy some plants suitable for containers that are in a
sheldered spot near the back door of a terraced house.

I love hostas but snails get them. I was thinking of planting a variety
of bulbs but the pots look ugly when the plants die back. Can anyone
offer suggestions?

As other people say, more information is needed. You need very
different plants for south and north facing locations, and warm
and cold areas of the UK.

One container plant that I am very chuffed with is Feijoa
sellowiana - it seems to be a lot hardier than is made out, and
it is evergreen and drought resistant. I shall see (later) if
my pomegranate came through the winter. But you would need to grow
both from seed, I think.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.