Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

Default Detergent in potting soil absorbs water better?

Adding soap to water reduces the surface tension of the water and allows it
to be absorbed by the soil easier. This would be more useful in your lawn
or garden area that has been so compacted by rain and being walked on, that
the water runs off, rather than being absorbed.

Depending on where your are and the type of soil you have, you would see
some benefit from doing this 2 or 3 times a year.

Dwayne

"vivian" wrote in message
I've been told if I put a pinch of dry laundry detergent in a gallon
in water and then use that solution the very first time I water my
newly-transferred plants, the potting soil was absorb water better.

Is this true?

Will my plants be harmed in any way?

viv