Old 09-04-2006, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default container plants

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

I want to buy some plants suitable for containers that are in a
sheldered spot near the back door of a terraced house.

I love hostas but snails get them. I was thinking of planting a variety
of bulbs but the pots look ugly when the plants die back. Can anyone
offer suggestions?

Some ideas - Double up the number of pots you own, or maybe treble
them. Plant spring bulbs, summer flowering bulbs and autumn flowering
plants or corms such as Cyclamen coum in the various pots. Move them
around accordingly. If you want Hostas, plant them in the pots, stand
the pots in LARGE saucers full of gravel (this will help you to water
the Hostas, too) and make sure none of the Hosta leaves ever touch the
gravel because that will give the slugs a purchase. Smear pots and
saucers with e.g. vaseline round the lower perimeter.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk