Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Rod

Default Will Birds Nest with Squirrels around?

"TheScullster" wrote in message ...
We have one or two red squirrels around.
Will they put off the birds?
Is there any point in fixing a bird box in a tree which is accessible to
both squirrels and local cats?

We have feral cats, Magpies, Jays, Jackdaws, grey squirrels, sparrow hawks plus a healthy population of garden and
woodland birds. What we also have- which is lacking in many places is plenty of good nesting cover. What we don't have
is much in the way of farmland birds(or other wildlife including plants) - I've watched that dwindling at an increasing
rate over the 27 years we've been here. Human activity - not predation is responsible for almost all of the above.

Rod