Old 10-04-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Frost forecasts

In article ,
Tim C. writes:

| I know that books often refer to the frost-pocket phenomenon, but my
| observation is that it is a lot rarer (in the UK) than is often made
| out. Yes, it occurs, but it is nowhere near as common as the shelter
| phenomenon, which is what I referred to in the section that you snipped.
|
| Find a spot displaying the shelter-phenomenon and look on the other side of
| the hedge. ;-)

It's usually partially sheltered, too!

In most of the UK, frost is associated with wind more often than with
still conditions. The main question is whether the scale of the
turbulence is larger or smaller than the scale of the topographical
feature. The Reynolds number is only part of the story.

You can often see this effect very clearly with sloes and other wild
flowers and fruit. While there is a very strong south=early effect,
and a fairly strong exposed=colder effect, there is a relatively weak
air-trap=colder effect.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.