Old 10-04-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default Ideas for filtration on a small pond

"Gill Passman" wrote in message

So if I understand correctly I could probably use the existing pump (if it
still works) and create my own cannister filter equivalent. The other
alternative is to go out and buy something which I may well have to do if
the old pump doesn't work. In which case I probably would go for something
like 2pods suggests and save myself the work.

I'm not sure what window screen material is but I'm guessing it is a type
of foam which would work great as a pre-filter. Then combine it with pea
gravel or similar for biological filtration...then finish up by pumping it
up to the veggie filter. Have I got the concept right?

Gill window screen material is the aluminum or vinyl mesh you put on windows
to prevent bugs from coming into the house. If you can't find it, any
similar mesh will work. sunshade material, and landscape fabric, carpet
buffing pads, green nylon scouring pads. You get the idea.

If you go to a janitorial or restaurant supply store, 10 and 20 packs of
nylon green scouring pads are really cheap.

Here is how I would build one.
1. From behind a restaurant or grocery store, take a milk crate.
2. Hardware store, sunshade fabric, peagravel, flat landscape stones, 8"
terracotta pot
3. Restaurant supply store, a few packs of scouring pads.
4. Turn milk crate upside down, line the sides with the sunshade fabric,
leaving enough to fold over the top. Put a layer of scouring pads down,
insert pump, fill the remaining space with as many scouring pads as you can,
or sunshade fabric, etc.
5. Insert into pond
6. Cover with a flat landscape stone.
7. Put some aquatic plant in the pot, fill pot with potting soil, moisten
soil, cover with 1" of pea gravel
8. Put pot on the flat stone covering the milk crate.
9. Put chair next to pond
10. relax and drink a lovely beverage.

9 and 10 are the most important steps.

-S