Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Sage

In article ,
smeckler wrote:

I have a very old looking sage plant in my incredibly neglected (rental!)
garden.

It's largely overshadowed by some horrible shrub and looks pretty miserable,
with a huge mass of long, tangled woody stems and just a few sprigs of
foliage at the ends. I'd like to help it - it smells wonderful - is there
anything I can do?

No. Anything you try will probably kill it. Sow some seed in a
pot of well-drained compost, and you will get a decent sized pot
plant this year and a large one next. And, of course, you can
put it in the soil when convenient. Sage is not a long-lived plant
in most of the UK, because it isn't desperately keen on the wet.

Most of the Mediterranean labiates are a bit like that (thyme,
marjoram, rosemary etc.)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679