Old 15-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Ted Byers

Default epidendrums

OK, I picked up my first epidendrums. One is labelled epi eagle
valley 'orange sherbet', and the other is not labelled (it is almost
identical to the eagle valley, but with pink flowers). But they're
from Cal Orchids (yes, I got them from Home Depot, but they were there
less than three days, and so had little opportunity to suffer at their
hands), so I should be able to find out what the unlabelled one is. I
found them by accident, because I went looking for clay pots (which,
alas, they didn't have in the right size). Rob's rules are right:
there's always room for more orchids!

They look a lot like my "evergreen" dendrobiums, except that the
flowers are much smaller (about half the size of those on my tiny
phals). What they lack in size, they make up for in dense clusters
having lots of flowers.

Now for the question. How do they compare with the dendrobiums in
terms of habit and care? Are they deciduous or evergreen? Do they
need a rest periodically, like my nobile type dendrobiums, or will
they just keep going with proper care (which, according to the
attached care sheet, looks similar to what I provide my phals)?

Thanks,

Ted