Old 11-04-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

Default How do you keep track of your orchids?

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:42:13 -0700, tbell wrote:

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:07:20 -0700, Jack wrote
(in article . com):
Hi, Jack -
I know there is software out there specifically for the purpose, but I've
been very happy with a database I constructed in Appleworks. If you're not
lucky enough to be using a Mac, you could probably create something similar
with MS Word, though I was completely mystified by Word Help in trying to
figure out how to form a database. If you'd be interested in seeing the
layout of mine, e-mail me at tbmdREMOVETHISatmacdotcom, with appropriate
alterations of the address.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Tom -
Word is generally only a document editor.
Excel is sometimes used as a database substitute.
But Access is the MS Office Database.

Jack -
Access is easy to work with.
It is easy to set up a table of sources/Vendors
A table of names (so you don't have to spell)
and a table that is your list of plants.
We have moved the pix to the web and keep just a yes/no checkbox on
the fact we have a pix in bloom.
You can set fields up for any item you wish. Name, hybrid, clone, date
purchased, date deleted, reason - sale/death, shown awards, pix,
vendor, notes.

I no longer keep track of dates on potting. I know I am behind. I
tried the colored tags. Alternate color for alternate years. So on the
blue year any yellows were over due. But it was like trying to date
the database - I would grab the wrong one when I was working or forget
to put it in.