Old 10-04-2006, 11:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

Default Need Advice Push Mower

Guitarist511 wrote:

Hello-

I have a Craftsman push mower that is about 5 years old. The governor
speed control does not stay steady anymore. I start the mower up and
the governor pulses for a few seconds and then the mower stalls. What
seems to be the problem here and what can I do w/o having to bring this
in for service? Dirty carburator? Bad governor spring?

Thanks for the advice!!

Most Craftsmen mowers use Tecumseh engines, and most of those have a
float type carb. Assuming the above describes your mower, take off the
bowl nut, it goes straight up into the bottom of the carb. Do not take
off the bowl itself, just let it hang there. Look very closely at the
bowl nut for a couple of tiny holes. If it has them go get some 2+2 carb
cleaner and clean them out. While you are doing this let all the gas
drain out. If it doesn't have any holes in it then put the nut back on.
Go get FRESH gas from the gas station (not what's in your gas can left
over from last season), refill the mower and see if it will run. If so
pat yourself on the back, you just saved yourself a few bucks. If it
still doesn't run right take it to the shop so they can do a thorough
job of cleaning the carb.

--
Art