Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Janet Baraclough

Default sea side garden

The message
from Chris Hogg contains these words:

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:18:11 -0000, "Annette King"
wrote:

Hi hope some one can help me find some good strong climbing plants that
don't mind the salt and the wind !!! I live on a very exposed cliff face on
the north sea and as you can imagine it can get quite rough.
Tried clematis ....jasmine....only one honeysuckle has survived......oh I
forgot to say they have to live in pots as I only have concrete jungle.

Christine Kelway, in 'Seaside Gardening' recommends Clematis Flammula
for such a position: (snip)

Her book was published in 1962 (Collingridge) and is long out of print
although s/h copies are still obtainable (try The Advanced Book
Exchange, http://www.abebooks.com ).

I got a copy recently (4 quid via Amazon's online second hand books)
and thoroughly recommend it.

Janet.