Old 11-04-2006, 04:14 AM posted to austin.gardening
wwsjr

Default Blackberries for the Austin area.

ceed wrote:
Hi,

I have some space in my yard where I would like to grow berries. I have
found out that that blackberries is what most likely would be able to
tolerate the heat, but I do not know what variety to get. I would like
something that isn’t to prone to disease and which can take the heat of
course. If there are other berries I could do please let me know. What
is most important is that what I get is low maintenance and suited for
the climate.

Thanks!

From: http://www.texasgrown.com/pages/arti...ativefruit.htm

Southern Dewberry (Rubus trivialis)- Dewberries don't bear as heavily as
named blackberry cultivars but the drought/insect resistance of this
common "bramble" are generally superior. The flavor has terrific
sweet/tart balance with an appealing musky "wildness".