Old 11-04-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

Default Cryptomeria

120 ft or more but I doubt it would get that size around here.
Araucaria get to over 150 ft in native habitat but just a little less over here

In the wild. Some named cultivars only grow to about 60' and it is
quite fast growing. Pretty enough tree too.

But one thing to be aware of it that the pollen is really allergenic
and is responsible for the hayfever season in Japan (about 10% of the
population seriously affected). The airborne pollen is profusely
scattered to the winds. Hayfever from cryptomeria is massive in Japan.
See for example:

http://www.itg.be/itg/DistanceLearni...y_plantsp5.htm

I was never affected by it, but the amount of pollen they produce in
Japanese forests makes everything tacky sticky with yellow pollen for
about a month.

If you are even remotely sensitive to plant allergens this is not
something you should be growing.

Regards,
Martin Brown