Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk

Default Alas poor plum tree

|In article ,
|Ang writes:

| I planted a plum tree ( victoria) last year and it seemd to take and
| looked quite healthy. Alas when we took the garage down which was
| closeby it got knocked by a large sheet of asbestos and some of the
| smaller branches got broken. To date there is no sign of any new
| growth. Can anyone advise whether I should cut my losses and dig itup
| or whether it may recover given time?

Leave it. My damsons have started sprouting only in the last week,
and new growth from old wood usually takes longer. If there is no
sign of life by midsummer, scrap it.

I'm with Nick (except I'd probably give it until autumn). I
accidentally did this to a Nashi pear once.
Or rather the wind picked up a fence panel and did it for me. Took
about 3 years to regrow but it is now perfect although missing a couple
of branches. So far only the pear tree is showing obvious signs of
growth.

Plum might be a bit more vulnerable to fungal infection after damage
but I'd leave it alone unless there are obvious dead bits once the sap
has risen.

Regards,
Martin Brown