Old 11-04-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Default Frost forecasts

In article ,
Judith Lea writes:

| I live quite near Nick, as the crow flies, and I have to agree with
| Janet, I look at the sky at night, and a clear, still night is the one
| when I get frosts. Last night was a prime example at Norwich.

Yes, we do here, but we are not typical of the UK. Last night was
not still, anyway! There was quite enough wind to reduce the frost
pocket phenomenon and increase the shelter one with me. Note that
a force 2 wind really does make a difference in this respect, and
even a force 1 one has some effect!

The result is that, if you consider the potential for frost-damage
and not the occurrence of frost as such, what I say is true. As I
said, I based my remarks on looking for sloes, looking at frost damage
of ornamentals and similar, in both hilly and flat places.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.