Old 14-03-2003, 08:53 AM
Dwayne

Default Potatoes in containers

Potatoes can be grown in just about anything. I have not heard of shredded
paper, but straw, leaves, dirt, etc. Just don't use something that will
keep the moisture in. They will rot if kept too wet.

I don't know how big a dust bin is, but you can put one in the space needed
for a 5 gallon bucket. You can put two in a pile of tires (that is what I
used when mine rotted). If a dust bin is even bigger, put in three and see
what happens.

Have fun. Dwayne

"Natalie" wrote in message
I intend to grow potatoes in plastic dustbins at school. How many seed
potatoes should I plant per dustbin? Also, after planting the potatoes in
compost can I then add a cheaper material, like shredded paper, to keep

the
stems covered?

TIA

Natalie