Old 11-04-2006, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Helleborus?

"Radio Free America" wrote in message
.142...

"Doug Kanter" wrote :

"Radio Free America" wrote in message
. 142...
Helleborus looks like a cool perennial for here in the

Denver
area. They say it blooms in late winter. How neat.

It's also supposed to be good for shade and part shade. The
area where I'd like to plant some, is on an embankment

that's
mostly shaded by some trees in summer but of course they

have
no leaves in winter, but I guess that would be ok for this
plant?

They also say it's evergreen. Really? Here in Denver or in
southern climates?

But I see the seed sellers on Ebay are only selling a few
seeds at a time and they're pricey. Why is that? It isn't

one
of those plants that's very hard to get seeds started for,

is
it?

Do the seeds take like 6 months to germinate or anything?

I like more of a sure thing, where I can just plant seeds

and
they go for it.

How about just buying a ready-grown plant from a reliable
LOCAL nursery? It's not an uncommon plant.

I checked with one. They don't have seedling size, only

gallons,
and they want $13 each!

Here ya go - knock yourself out!
http://wholesale.thompson-morgan.com...product/4237/1

What's wrong with this picture?

I can buy Hollyhock seeds for about $3 per 500, and they want $56
for 100 of those? And they can take 6 months to germinate?

- Does 56 cents per plant sound better than $13.00 each at a nursery?

- Is it possible they're not as easy to get seeds from than other plants?

- A google search for "hellebore seeds" turned up quite a few results. Have
you tried that?

- Yes. They can take 6 months. They might also require stratification:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...n_of_seeds.htm