Old 14-03-2003, 09:04 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Sage

In article ,
(Rodger Whitlock) writes:

| Cut back the overshadowing horrible so your sage gets more sun.
| Then cut the sage itself back *hard* -- right to the base of the
| stems.

My experience is that works with young sage, but tends to kill
old and overgrown sage. Which isn't a big deal, as such plants
need replacing anyway.

| As insurance, transform the sage prunings into cuttings (iow,
| just take the tips off, a couple of inches of stem and the
| terminal leaves) and root them. They're dead easy to root. In
| fact, they may root perfectly well simply dibbled into likely
| spots.

A good point, except that I would regard it as more the primary
reason for cutting it back! I haven't timed sage from cuttings
and sage from seed, but both are pretty quick. Cuttings are
probably faster.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679