Old 11-04-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Lawn aerators

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 13:19:42 +0000, Zarch
wrote:

Chris,

After going through the whole areator headache lat year in which i
bought a push along spiker for 20 odd quid, then a hollow tine for
about 20 odd quid. only to find the spiker is pretty crap and my soil
that tough that the "foot powered" hollow tine needed some real tough
action to get it in the ground, so much so i bought some rubber mallets
and started hitting the thing into the ground. I went thru about 5
rubber mallets before the hollow tine device snapped on me. (and only
halfway down my lawn)

So after nearly £50 and the time and heartache of trying to manually
aerate my 5m x 15m lawn i would recommend going to your local HSS Hire
shop and getting one of these things for the weekend.

http://tinyurl.com/sx3ky

If it comes to having to do the same again this coming autumn, then
thats what i'm gonna get. Maybe get it for the weekend and see if your
mates need theres doing and get them to chip in?

Thanks Zarch, but too late! I've just got a Yeoman 5-tined aerator for
about GBP17. I'll see how I get on with it.

--
Chris