Old 11-04-2006, 09:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Helleborus?

"Radio Free America" wrote in message
42...

Here ya go - knock yourself out!
http://wholesale.thompson-morgan.com...product/4237/1

What's wrong with this picture?

I can buy Hollyhock seeds for about $3 per 500, and they want
$56 for 100 of those? And they can take 6 months to
germinate?

- Does 56 cents per plant sound better than $13.00 each at a
nursery?

Sure, if they all germinate, and within a few weeks, not 6 months
or a year later.

If they're saying 6 months, then that may answer the other question below,
about stratification. More research is in order for you. "Seed Starter's
Handbook", by Nancy Bubel (sp?). Check your library. I know it sounds
bizarre that seeds can take that long to sprout, when you consider that
marigolds pop out in about 48 hours. But, the plants have their own reasons
for doing things. Sort of like cats.

One odd thing is that they say the plant likes shade, but in
winter? There are no leaves on the trees to shade it then. How is
that handled?

Perhaps their natural habitat is in deep woods, where shade can exist behind
embankments, or around tall evergreens. At home, you can give them some
winter protection by banking leaves against them, observing the patterns of
light on your property and planting accordingly, or using other plants to
provide the necessary conditions.

- Yes. They can take 6 months. They might also require
stratification:
http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/ar...2002/stratific
ation_of_seeds.htm

Hmm. Does that need to be done with these seeds, for success?

See above, and take a close look at this site. I suspect it might have some
information about hellebores, but I'm not su
http://www.hellebores.org/growing/propagating.html