Old 11-04-2006, 10:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Craftsman lawn tractor....kohler engine..hooked battery backwards!!

I put a new battery in my craftsman LT4000 with a kohler 14hp CV14S
engine. I put it in backwards (reverse polarity). I'm over the stupid
mistake now, but the mower isn't!
It won't start. The spark looks weak when I ground the plug to the
block. But there is spark!
What would I have fried? I don't have my multimeter here with me right
now so I can't do any real troubleshooting. I have eliminated the
safety switches, actually I bypassed them last summer.
I'm thinking that there must be someone who has seen this all before?
Any idea what fried?
What does the stator do exactly? If the ign mod/magneto was bad could I
still have spark or do they go bad and have no spark? There are no
points/condensor on this motor. The battery is now very weak (i did the
actual mistake last fall and left the batt in all winter), do I really
need a fully charged battery to have good spark? I'm jump starting it
from my truck, directly to the starter.
Help me out guys!