Old 12-04-2006, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

Default Shredding & blowing peat moss on lawn?

wrote:

I am a home owner with a bad lawn not a professional. I have tried
using peat moss and it did work quiet well. I put down the peat moss
just spreading it around with a shovel. Then I sprinkled seed and some
fertilizer. Then plonked more peat moss on top.

I kept it watered using a ordinary hose and sprinkler on a timer.
Worked quite well.

I got my peat moss from home depot as well as the grass seed. I live
in
New York and I did this last fall round about September time. Grass
came up in about 5 days.

And you could have had the same results with less water if you didn't
have to provide enough water to both keep the peat hydrated and have
enough left over for the seeds to germinate. You wasted money on the
peat, and then you wasted money by having to water more.

The advantages of peat moss over top soil and other admenments I think
is easy of spreading it around.

Unless you mix the peat into the soil, there is zero advantage to using
it. In fact, if you just spread it on top, it's a waste. A waste of
peat. A waste of water. And a waste of effort. The peat has no
nutriative value, and if it's not mixed in the soil, it does nothing to
help the soil at all.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.

Power Lawncare Tools for Spring Clean-up:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blackanddecker/