Old 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

Default Planting Bags

"Bman" wrote in message

Hello Group!

This is my first post!

I'm new to gardening and have only had one season trying to get my lawn
to look good again and a tobacco season, under my belt.

I've planted some tomatoes and sweetcorn and they have sprouted.

I'm planning on putting them into Planting Bags. But i've heard lots
about root space and depth and how plants need to spread their feet.
Certainly tobacco needs a good 30cm at least to root.

So i'm wondering if 5cm thick bags of soil are going to do the trick?
Or should I take several of them, cut out the tops and bottoms and
stack them together, making a kind of planter? If I had three of them
on top of each other, that would provide a really deep bed of earth to
root into.

What do you think about my idea?

Bman

For tomato plants I get a large bucket, empty half the growing bag into it.
Then plant.

Have good results each year I do it. Much better than using a regular bag.
Consider 'ring-culture'!
Bottomless bucket, sitting in a deep pan full of gravel.
Fill bucket with compost.
Fill tray with water.
Plant out.
The soil provides nutrients and stability.
The gravel and water provides a moist micro climate and a constant source of
water.
Roots grow down and out into the gravel.

Never managed to get decent sweetcorn so can't help ther.

Dave