Old 12-04-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Planting Bags

La Puce wrote:
Bman wrote:
So i'm wondering if 5cm thick bags of soil are going to do the trick?
Or should I take several of them, cut out the tops and bottoms and
stack them together, making a kind of planter? If I had three of them
on top of each other, that would provide a really deep bed of earth
to root into.

Sounds very tricky with sweet corns. I never grow less than 10 plants
- and like you I tried with grow bag and it wasn't successful at all
as the corns were heavy and didnt' get enough root space. [...]

It's not just a matter of stability. Sweet corn isn't suitable for
containers, in the ordinary way containers are used, as for reliable
results it's best grown in a block with plants 18" apart each way to
encourage wind-pollination. You could do it, but it sounds like a
hassle.

Moving on from sweet corn, I theorise that stacking growbags would
probably result in either a horrible mess of spilt compost, or the
bottom layer not receiving enough water. Instead, maybe each bag could
be cut in half, and each half stood on end and used as a rather wobbly
separate container. I don't know if that idea would work, so I'd invest
in some cheap black buckets instead. I used to grow my tomatoes in
square tubs made by halving those tough black 25-litre things dairy
hypochlorite comes in.

--
Mike.